- 1995-1999 Ph.D. in Earth Sciences, Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva, Switzerland. “The petrology and geochemistry of diverse crustal xenoliths, Tatara-San Pedro Volcanic Complex, Chilean Andes”. Advisors: Prof. Michael Dungan (Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva) and Prof. Bradley Singer (Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Wisconsin, USA).
- 1989-1994 Bachelor degree in Earth Sciences, University of Barcelona (Spain).
- 2010-present Principal Investigator at the Earth Observatory of Singapore, Assistant Professor at the Division of Earth Sciences, NTU
- 2006-2010 Ramon y Cajal Research Fellowship at the CSIC, Institut de Ciences de la Terra 'Jaume Almera', Barcelona, Spain.
- 2002-2006 Post-doctoral position at the Institut für Geologie, Mineralogie und Geophysik, Ruhr-Universitat, Bochum, Germany.
- 2000-2002 Marie-Curie Research Fellowship at the Institut des Sciences de la Terre d'Orléans-CNRS, France.
- 1999-2000 Post-doctoral position at the Department of Mineralogy of the University of Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1996-1997 Laboratory assistant of the electron microprobe laboratory at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 1994-1995 Employee of the Spanish Geological Survey (ITGE). Detailed mapping and characterization of mineral deposits. Metalogenetic map, sheet 25 (Figueres), 1:200,000.
- 1993-1995 Young Scientist research project: ‘The geological mapping of a Neolithic Mine’. In collaboration with A. Camprubí and M.C. Salvany, Funded by the European Community Program for Young Scientists.
- Associate Editor of American Mineralogist
- Associate editor of Geologica Acta
- 2012 Co-convener: Symposium ''V12B: Petrologic insights on magmatic processes controlling shits in eruption style”, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting
- 2012 Co-convener: Session SE105-107 Magmatic Processes and Possible Links to Volcano Monitoring Data, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society, Singapore
- 2011 Co-convener: Session SE52 Volatiles in Volcanic Processes, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (Taipei, Taiwan).
- 2011 Co-convener: Session Time-scales of Magmatic Processes and Volcanological Implications, IUGG-IAVCEI Conference.
- 2010 Commission of evaluation of candidates for position Associate Professor in Experimental Petrology from the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico.
- 2010-2011 Commission of evaluations for candidates of electron microprobe laboratory, Outreach Director, and Professor jobs for Volcano, Climate, and Tectonics themes at EOS.
- 2009 Co-convener: Symposium ‘5h Kinetics of Metamorphic and Igneous Processes’, 19th Annual Goldschmidt Conference.
Planet Earth (University Scholars Program, NTU)
ES7005 - Foundations of Earth Sciences (Division of Earth Sciences, NTU)
- 2012 Summer semester, Graduate course for non-geologists, 'Foundations of earth sciences', Division of Earth Sciences, NTU.
- 2011 Summer semester, Graduate course for non-geologists, 'Foundations of earth sciences', Division of Earth Sciences, NTU.
- 2008 Time Scales of Igneous Processes From Diffusion Modeling of Crystal Zoning Patterns. 'Minerals, Inclusions and Volcanic Processes', Mineralogical Society of America Short Course, San Francisco, 13-14 December.
- 2007 Curso de introducción a la vulcanología: Termodinámica y procesos cinéticos. Universitat de Barcelona (Spain). 1-3 June.
- 2006 Geospeedometry and the time scales of geological processes. '2nd Short Course of Diffusion in Geological Materials', 19-22 April. Free Berlin University, Germany.
- 2005 Geospeedometry and the time scales of geological processes. '1st Short Course of Diffusion in Geological Materials'. 22-24 September. University of Basel, Switzerland.
- 1995-1999 Optical Mineralogy laboratory. Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- 1995-1999 Igneous Petrology laboratory. Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1995-1999 Field geological mapping (France, Spain and USA). Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva, Switzerland
Honours and Awards:
- 2013 Wager Medal, by the International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior (awarded on 20th July 2013, Kagoshima, Japan).
Measuring Timescales of Magmatic Evolution. Elements. 3, 267-272. (2007).
Short time scales of magmatic assimilation from diffusion modeling of multiple elements in olivine. Geology. 33, 837-840. (2005).
Decadal time gaps between mafic intrusion and silicic eruption obtained from chemical zoning patterns in olivine. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 227, 517-530. (2004).
Massive atmospheric sulfur loading of the AD 1600 Huaynaputina eruption and implications for petrologic sulfur estimates. Geophysical Research Letters. 30, (2003).
Diffusion coupling between trace and major elements and a model for calculation of magma residence times using plagioclase. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 67, 2189-2200. (2003).
Evolution of Holocene Dacite and Compositionally Zoned Magma, Volcan San Pedro, Southern Volcanic Zone, Chile. Journal of Petrology. 43, 1571-1593. (2002).
Magmatic Na-rich phlogopite in a suite of gabbroic crustal xenoliths from Volcan San Pedro, Chilean Andes: Evidence for a solvus relation between phlogopite and aspidolite. American Mineralogist. 86, 29-35. (2001).
The Upper Laacher See Tephra in Lake Geneva sediments: paleoenvironmental and paleoclimatological implications. Schweizerische Mineralogische Und Petrographische Mitteilungen. 77, 175-185. (1997).