- 1995-1999 Ph.D. in Earth Sciences, Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva, Switzerland. “The petrology and geochemistry of diverse crustal xenoliths, Tatara-San Pedro Volcanic Complex, Chilean Andes”. Advisors: Prof. Michael Dungan (Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva) and Prof. Bradley Singer (Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Wisconsin, USA).
- 1989-1994 Bachelor degree in Earth Sciences, University of Barcelona (Spain).
- 2010-present Principal Investigator at the Earth Observatory of Singapore, Assistant Professor at the Division of Earth Sciences, NTU
- 2006-2010 Ramon y Cajal Research Fellowship at the CSIC, Institut de Ciences de la Terra 'Jaume Almera', Barcelona, Spain.
- 2002-2006 Post-doctoral position at the Institut für Geologie, Mineralogie und Geophysik, Ruhr-Universitat, Bochum, Germany.
- 2000-2002 Marie-Curie Research Fellowship at the Institut des Sciences de la Terre d'Orléans-CNRS, France.
- 1999-2000 Post-doctoral position at the Department of Mineralogy of the University of Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1996-1997 Laboratory assistant of the electron microprobe laboratory at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 1994-1995 Employee of the Spanish Geological Survey (ITGE). Detailed mapping and characterization of mineral deposits. Metalogenetic map, sheet 25 (Figueres), 1:200,000.
- 1993-1995 Young Scientist research project: ‘The geological mapping of a Neolithic Mine’. In collaboration with A. Camprubí and M.C. Salvany, Funded by the European Community Program for Young Scientists.
- Associate Editor of American Mineralogist
- Associate editor of Geologica Acta
- 2012 Co-convener: Symposium ''V12B: Petrologic insights on magmatic processes controlling shits in eruption style”, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting
- 2012 Co-convener: Session SE105-107 Magmatic Processes and Possible Links to Volcano Monitoring Data, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society, Singapore
- 2011 Co-convener: Session SE52 Volatiles in Volcanic Processes, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (Taipei, Taiwan).
- 2011 Co-convener: Session Time-scales of Magmatic Processes and Volcanological Implications, IUGG-IAVCEI Conference.
- 2010 Commission of evaluation of candidates for position Associate Professor in Experimental Petrology from the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico.
- 2010-2011 Commission of evaluations for candidates of electron microprobe laboratory, Outreach Director, and Professor jobs for Volcano, Climate, and Tectonics themes at EOS.
- 2009 Co-convener: Symposium ‘5h Kinetics of Metamorphic and Igneous Processes’, 19th Annual Goldschmidt Conference.
Planet Earth (University Scholars Program, NTU)
ES7005 - Foundations of Earth Sciences (Division of Earth Sciences, NTU)
- 2012 Summer semester, Graduate course for non-geologists, 'Foundations of earth sciences', Division of Earth Sciences, NTU.
- 2011 Summer semester, Graduate course for non-geologists, 'Foundations of earth sciences', Division of Earth Sciences, NTU.
- 2008 Time Scales of Igneous Processes From Diffusion Modeling of Crystal Zoning Patterns. 'Minerals, Inclusions and Volcanic Processes', Mineralogical Society of America Short Course, San Francisco, 13-14 December.
- 2007 Curso de introducción a la vulcanología: Termodinámica y procesos cinéticos. Universitat de Barcelona (Spain). 1-3 June.
- 2006 Geospeedometry and the time scales of geological processes. '2nd Short Course of Diffusion in Geological Materials', 19-22 April. Free Berlin University, Germany.
- 2005 Geospeedometry and the time scales of geological processes. '1st Short Course of Diffusion in Geological Materials'. 22-24 September. University of Basel, Switzerland.
- 1995-1999 Optical Mineralogy laboratory. Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- 1995-1999 Igneous Petrology laboratory. Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1995-1999 Field geological mapping (France, Spain and USA). Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva, Switzerland
Honours and Awards:
- 2013 Wager Medal, by the International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior (awarded on 20th July 2013, Kagoshima, Japan).
Measuring Timescales of Magmatic Evolution. Elements. 3, 267-272. (2007).
Short time scales of magmatic assimilation from diffusion modeling of multiple elements in olivine. Geology. 33, 837-840. (2005).
Decadal time gaps between mafic intrusion and silicic eruption obtained from chemical zoning patterns in olivine. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 227, 517-530. (2004).
Diffusion coupling between trace and major elements and a model for calculation of magma residence times using plagioclase. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 67, 2189-2200. (2003).
Massive atmospheric sulfur loading of the AD 1600 Huaynaputina eruption and implications for petrologic sulfur estimates. Geophysical Research Letters. 30, (2003).
Evolution of Holocene Dacite and Compositionally Zoned Magma, Volcan San Pedro, Southern Volcanic Zone, Chile. Journal of Petrology. 43, 1571-1593. (2002).
Magmatic Na-rich phlogopite in a suite of gabbroic crustal xenoliths from Volcan San Pedro, Chilean Andes: Evidence for a solvus relation between phlogopite and aspidolite. American Mineralogist. 86, 29-35. (2001).
The Upper Laacher See Tephra in Lake Geneva sediments: paleoenvironmental and paleoclimatological implications. Schweizerische Mineralogische Und Petrographische Mitteilungen. 77, 175-185. (1997).