- 1995-1999 Ph.D. in Earth Sciences, Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva, Switzerland. “The petrology and geochemistry of diverse crustal xenoliths, Tatara-San Pedro Volcanic Complex, Chilean Andes”. Advisors: Prof. Michael Dungan (Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva) and Prof. Bradley Singer (Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Wisconsin, USA).
- 1989-1994 Bachelor degree in Earth Sciences, University of Barcelona (Spain).
- 2019-present: Designate Interim Director, Earth Observatory of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2019-present: Provost’s Chair in Earth Sciences, Asian School of the Environment. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2018-present: Associate Chair (Faculty) of Asian School of the Environment. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2017-present: National Research Foundation Investigator (Singapore) 2017-2018: Acting Chair of Asian School of the Environment. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2015-2016: Associate Chair (Faculty) of Asian School of the Environment, NanyangTechnological University, Singapore
- 2015-present: Associate Professor and Principal Investigator at the Earth Observatory of Singapore. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2010-2015: Assistant Professor and Principal Investigator at the Earth Observatory of Singapore. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2006-2010: Ramon y Cajal Research Fellowship at the CSIC, Institut de Ciences de la Terra 'Jaume Almera', Barcelona, Spain
- 2002-2006: Post-doctoral position at the Institut für Geologie, Mineralogie und Geophysik, Ruhr-Universitat, Bochum, Germany
- 2000-2002: Marie-Curie Research Fellowship at the Institut des Sciences de la Terre d'Orléans-CNRS, France
- 1999-2000: Post-doctoral position at the Department of Mineralogy of the University of Geneva, Switzerland
- 1995-1999: PhD thesis research funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation
- 1994-1995: Employee of the Spanish Geological Survey (ITGE). Detailed mapping and characterization of mineral deposits. Metalogenetic map, sheet 25 (Figueres), 1:200,000
Service as editor and associate editor for international journals
- 2018-present: Associate Editor of Frontiers in Earth Sciences,
- 2018-present: Associate Editor of Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research
- 2016-present: Associate Editorof ‘Boletín de la Sociedad Geológica Mexicana’
- 2009-2017: Associate Editor of ‘Geologica Acta’
- 2012-2014: Associate Editor of ‘Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems’ (AGU journal)
- 2013-2017: Associate Editor of 'American Mineralogist' (MSA journal)
Session chairman/(special) session organizer in conferences
- Theme coordinator (06: Magmas and Volcanoes) of 15 sessions at the Goldschmidt Geochemistry Conference 2019 August (Barcelona, Spain).
- Co-convener: Session SE18: Linking Numerical, Analytical and Experimental Modelling with Remote and Local Volcano Monitoring Data, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society 2019, Singapore
- Co-organizer: SessionS-VC39, Pre-eruptive magmatic processes: petrologic analyses, experimental simulations and dynamics modeling at the Japanese Geological Union, Chiba, May 2018
- Co-organizer: Chapman Conference (AGU) Merging Geophysical, Petrochronologic, and Modeling Perspectives of Large Silicic Magma Systems. Chile, January 2018
- Co-convener: Session V13F: Crystal Records of the Timescales and Thermal Evolution of Plutonic, Hydrothermal, and Volcanic System, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2016 (San Francisco, USA)
- Co-convener of Symposium 8e: Crystallization Histories and Degassing: From Melt Inclusions to Plumbing Systems. 26th Annual Goldschmidt Conference, 2016
- Co-convener: Session V12B. Petrologic Insights on Magmatic Processes Controlling Shifts in Eruption Style, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2012 (San Francisco, USA)
- Co-convener: Session SE105-107 Magmatic Processes and Possible Links to Volcano Monitoring Data, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society 2012, Singapore.
- Co-convener: Session SE52 Volatiles in Volcanic Processes, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society 2011 (Taipei, Taiwan)
- Co-convener: Session Time-scales of Magmatic Processes and Volcanological Implications, IUGG-IAVCEI Conference, 2011 (Melbourne, Australia)
- Co-convener: Symposium ‘5h Kinetics of Metamorphic and Igneous Processes’, 19th Annual Goldschmidt Conference, 2009 (Davos, Switzerland)
- Co-convener: Symposium ''V38: Minerals, Inclusions and Volcanic Processes: Crystal-scale records of magma dynamics'', American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2008 (San Francisco, USA)
- Co-organizer: Geological Society of America Field Forum 'Assessing the state of our knowledge of continental arc volcanism: The Tatara-San Pedro complex, 36 oS, Andean Southern Volcanic Zone' Chile, 2007
- Co-convener: Symposium 'Links between radioactive isotopes and diffusion modelling to constrain the timescales of magmatic processes' 17th Annual Goldschmidt Conference, 2007 (Koln, Germany)
- Co-convener: Symposium 'Will the real phenocrysts please stand up?', American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2005, (San Francisco, USA)
- 2018/2019: Summer semester 2019. Co-teaching Introduction to Volcanology (3 AUs)
- 2018/2019: Winter semester 2018. Lead “Independent Studies” class for graduatestudents on volcano monitoring tools (3 AUs)
- 2018/2019: Winter semester 2018. Coordinator and main instructor of undergraduatecourse ES3003 “Introduction to Geochemistry” (3 AUs)
- 2017/2018: Winter semester 2017. Co-teaching of undergraduate course ES3003“Introduction toGeochemistry” (3 AUs)
- 2016/2017: Summer semester 2017. Co-teaching of new undergraduate course“Advanced Field Geology”. (4 AUs)
- 2016/2017: Winter semester 2016. Independent Studies class for graduate students onthermodynamics and kinetics of magmatic systems (3 AUs)
- 2016/2017: Winter semester 2016. Co-teaching of undergraduate course “Introductionto Geochemistry” (3 AUs)
- 2015/2016: Summer semester 2016. Teaching of new undergraduate course EarthMaterials (4 AUs)
- 2014/2015: Summer semester 2015. Co-Teaching of a new graduate courseVolcanology (3 AUs)
- 2014/2015: Winter semester 2014. Teaching undergraduate course SP004 Planet Earth(3 AUs), within the University Scholars Program. Taught two separate classes, equivalent to teaching two semestersat once.
- 2013/2014: Winter semester 2013. Teaching a new undergraduate course SP004,Planet Earth (3 AUs), within the University Scholars Program. Taught two separate classes, equivalent to teaching two semesters at once.
- 2011/2012: Summer semester 2012; Teaching of graduate course (3 AUs) ES 7005,‘Foundations of Earth Sciences’
- 2010/2011: Summer semester 2011; Teaching a new graduate course (3 AUs) ES 7005,‘Foundations of Earth Sciences’
Honours and Awards:
- 2013 Wager Medal, by the International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior (awarded on 20th July 2013, Kagoshima, Japan).
Assessing the potential for future explosive activity from Teide-Pico Viejo stratovolcanoes (Tenerife, Canary Islands). Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. 178, 529-542. (2008).
Equilibration Scales in Silicic to Intermediate Magmas-Implications for Experimental Studies. Journal of Petrology. 48, 1955-1972. (2007).
Measuring Timescales of Magmatic Evolution. Elements. 3, 267-272. (2007).
Short time scales of magmatic assimilation from diffusion modeling of multiple elements in olivine. Geology. 33, 837-840. (2005).
Decadal time gaps between mafic intrusion and silicic eruption obtained from chemical zoning patterns in olivine. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 227, 517-530. (2004).
Diffusion coupling between trace and major elements and a model for calculation of magma residence times using plagioclase. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 67, 2189-2200. (2003).
Massive atmospheric sulfur loading of the AD 1600 Huaynaputina eruption and implications for petrologic sulfur estimates. Geophysical Research Letters. 30, (2003).
Evolution of Holocene Dacite and Compositionally Zoned Magma, Volcan San Pedro, Southern Volcanic Zone, Chile. Journal of Petrology. 43, 1571-1593. (2002).
Magmatic Na-rich phlogopite in a suite of gabbroic crustal xenoliths from Volcan San Pedro, Chilean Andes: Evidence for a solvus relation between phlogopite and aspidolite. American Mineralogist. 86, 29-35. (2001).
The Upper Laacher See Tephra in Lake Geneva sediments: paleoenvironmental and paleoclimatological implications. Schweizerische Mineralogische Und Petrographische Mitteilungen. 77, 175-185. (1997).