Janice Ser Huay LEE
Janice Lee is a Principal Investigator at the Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) and an Assistant Professor at the Asian School of the Environment (ASE) in Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore.
Prior to joining NTU in 2016, Janice was a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Science, Technology, and Environmental Policy Program in Princeton University and the Department of Environmental Systems Science at ETH Zurich after obtaining her PhD in 2013. She completed both her BSc in Life Sciences and MSc in Ecology at the National University of Singapore.
Janice has published 26 research papers, 10 of which she is the first author. She is co-author of seven book chapters and reports including the IUCN Oil Palm Task Force Situation Analysis on Oil Palm and Biodiversity. Currently, Janice is on the editorial board of Biological Conservation and most recently guest-edited Frontiers in Forests and Global Change Special Issue on Improving Environmental Sustainability in Oil Palm: Linking Science, Policy, & Practice across the Tropics. She has also reviewed manuscripts for journals with high impact factors, such as Nature Climate Change, PNAS, and Biological Conservation.
In her role at EOS and ASE, Janice is supervising or has supervised two Postdoctoral researchers, five research associates, four PhD students, and nine undergraduate students.
Janice leads the Coupled Human and Natural Systems Lab at EOS and ASE. Her primary research interest is in socio-ecological systems. She focuses on issues pertinent to rural land use and land cover change and the impacts of these changes on biodiversity conservation and human livelihoods. Her research also concerns issues related to the oil palm industry, food security, and peatland restoration and management in Southeast Asia
- 2006: BS, Life Sciences, National University of Singapore
- 2009: MS, Ecology, National University of Singapore
- 2013: PhD, Environmental Systems Science, ETH Zurich
- 2016 — present: Principal Investigator, Earth Observatory of Singapore and Assistant Professor, Asian School of the Environment
- 2014 — 2016: Science, Technology, and Environmental Policy Program, Princeton University, USA
- 2013 — 2014: Postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Environmental Systems Science, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- 2013: Consultant with the Center for International Forestry Research, Bogor, Indonesia
- 2018 — 2019: Frontiers in Forests and Global Change Special Issue on Improving Environmental Sustainability in Oil Palm: Linking Science, Policy, & Practice across the Tropics
- 2019 — present: Biological Conservation
- Nature Climate Change
- Biological Conservation
- Conservation Letters
- Land Use Policy
- Environment, Development and Sustainability
- Remote Sensing
- International Journal of Applied Earth Observation
- Applied Geography
- Agricultural Systems
- Ecology and Society
- Global Environmental Change
- Restoration Ecology
- September 2017: Participated in the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Oil Palm Task Force report which is a comprehensive review of the threats of oil palm to biodiversity
- Contributed to the IUCN Oil Palm Task Force Situation Analysis on Oil Palm and Biodiversity
- August 2019 — present: NTU Scholarship Interview Exercise
- August 2019 — present: TF LEaRN Scholars mentor
- August 2018 — present: Qualifying Exam Panel at the Asian School of the Environment
- May 2018: Invited speaker at the inaugural College of Science, Women in Science Symposium